A frequency converter is used to regulate the frequency and thus the speed of an AC motor. Frequency converters are increasingly used in conjunction with motors to improve performance or efficiency at startup and varying operational modes.
The frequency converter is usually the least energy-consuming part of the overall system and can minimise the energy loss from the motor. A frequency converter can improve efficiency in many systems, because it will adapt the motor speed to the need.
BJ-Gear offers frequency converters from Invertek Drives, which are known to be precise and reliable controls for IE2, IE3 & IE4 motors. They can be used to control multiple motor types such as induction motors (IM), permanent magnet motors (PM), brushless DC Mmtors (BLDC) and synchronous reluctance motors (SynRM).
The commisioning is very simple with only 14 basic parameters ensuring rapid set up. The default settings are suitable for most applications and there is a contactor style connection for simple wiring. Also, the frequency controllers features an intuitive keypad control ensuring precise digital control at the touch of a button. The keypad control also makes it easy to switch between the different applications: Industrial, Pump & Fan.
Furthermore, the frequency converters comes with an IP-class IP20 or IP66.
- Soft starts and stops enables dimensioning compared to the normal operating situation. This reduces the loss in transmission, which would otherwise have to be oversized to withstand the hard starts and stops. It also reduces wear and tear on motors, transmissions and machines.
- Can for shorter periods extend operating range by running motors up to a higher speed.
- Frequency converters make a good dynamic performance, which can be used in machines with precise control of speed. May run in an open loop without speed sensor.
- Contains an incorporated microprocessor providing a variety of facilities – for example field bus communication, local PID control, inputs from different measuring points, electricity meters and ramp up and down functions.
- Easy to put into operation due to integrated instructions via the operator panel.
- Stocked item which may be fitted to existing motors.